Substitution of subjects must be based on at least one (1) of the following conditions:
- a student is pursuing a curriculum that has been superseded by a new one and the substitution brings the old curriculum in line with the new;
- there is conflict of hours between a required subject and another required subject;
- the required subject is not offered.
Every petition for substitution must:
- involve subjects within the same department; if not, the two (2) subjects concerned must be allied with each other;
- be between subjects carrying the same number of units (or the substitute subject may have more number of units); and
- be recommended by the adviser and by the heads of departments concerned.
Note: Except for the GE subjects with permanent substitutions approved by the University Council, GE subjects cannot be substituted.
All petitions for substitution must be submitted to the office of the Dean concerned before 12% of regular class meetings have been held. Any petition submitted thereafter shall be considered for the following semester.
No substitution shall be allowed for any subject prescribed in the curriculum in which the student has failed or received a grade of “5.00,” except when, in the opinion of the department offering the prescribed subject, or of the faculty in units without any departments, the proposed substitute covers substantially the same subject matter as the required subject.
All applications for substitution shall be acted upon by the Dean concerned. In case the action of the Dean is adverse to the recommendation of the adviser and the head of the department concerned, the student may appeal to the Vice-Chancellor for Academic Affairs, whose decision shall be final.
[Refer to the UP Academic Information document]
II. DOWNLOADABLE FORMS